Apple and Carrot Muffins
- Perfect grab and go for busy mornings
- Snacktastic with a cup of tea
- Made with coconut flour for a twist on a traditional muffin
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes + time to cool
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fat:18.8 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Fibre: 4.1 g
- Calories: 250
- 30g coconut flour
- 20g chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder/ground nutmeg/salt
- ¼ tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 large eggs
- 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey/agave/maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 8 deep paper cases.
- Mix the coconut flour, walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the apple and carrot in a large mixing bowl and blot them with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.
- Add the eggs, dates, coconut milk, coconut oil, agave syrup and vanilla extract and stir well. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Use a spoon to divide the batter evenly among the paper cases, so that they are almost full. Bake for 25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container. Keeps for up to one week in the fridge or freezes well.