Green Lentil Soup with Thyme
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Fibre: 1.8g
- Calories: 76
- 400g green lentils
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 slices of streaky bacon cut into matchstick sized strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1L chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bunch of thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the bacon and vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Rinse the lentils under cold water and add to the vegetables.
- Pour in the stock, quickly bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- If you prefer to serve the soup smooth, simply blend it briefly, saving a few spoonfuls of the lentils to garnish.