Lentil Stuffed Peppers
- These are a favourite in my house.
- They’re full of goodness and make a complete meal when you serve them with rice, quinoa or couscous.
- Once they’re in the oven, they pretty much take care of themselves.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Protein: 19.2g
- Fat: 11.4g
- Fibre: 11.3g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Calories: 341
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g green lentils raw
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 pepper, halved lengthways and deseeded
- 2 tbsp grated dairy free cheese
- a handful of mixed salad leaves
- rice, quinoa or couscous, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the lentils, soy sauce, tomato purée, water and chopped tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid the lentils sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile, place the pepper halves on an ovenproof dish and bake for about 12 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- Carefully remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the cooked lentils into them. Sprinkle over the cheese and return the peppers to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a serving plate alongside the stuffed peppers and serve with rice, quinoa or couscous.
Ingredient tip: Lentils can be bought in a tin and are super convenient when you are too busy to cook from scratch. Buy a few tins and keep them in your cupboard for a super easy go too ingredient.