These make a brilliant snack with a cup of tea. They’re warm and hearty and they smell like Christmas because of the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes + time to cool
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fat:18.8 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Fibre: 4.1 g
- Calories: 250
- 70g wholemeal flour
- 40g plain flour
- 20g chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 large eggs
- 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey/agave/maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 8 deep paper cases.
- Mix the flours, walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the apple and carrot in a large mixing bowl and blot them with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture. Add the eggs, dates, yoghurt, coconut oil, agave syrup and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Use a spoon to divide the batter evenly among the paper cases, so that they are almost full.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container. Keeps for up to one week in the fridge or freezes well.